Site Computer News
- September 2017
Soilamaa is continuing to develop his ROM loader to allow unmodified MSX
games ROMs to run on the MTX
- It is still a work in progress, but, now runs on real MTX
hardware, as well as MEMU - check it out
- Martin Allcorn in hosting
Memofest 2017 on the
14th October in
- Courtesy of an eBay seller, I have uploaded a better quality
scan of "Memotechniques" from "Personal Computer News",
Issue 46, from January 28
1984 - see the
- I have just completed a quite interesting repair on the MTX500
given to me by Wolfgang Joerger. As well as the almost obligatory
VRAM fault, the machine had a failed TMS-4764 Mask ROM - direct
replacements for these devices are not available -
read how I resolved
the issue here.
- Although not Memotech related, David Kimberlin-Wyer has
contributed an article
on how to replace the internals of a failed PSU in a Tatung Einstein
TC-01 with an alternative open frame PSU.
- In a similar way to my "one-off"
CFX Special, David
provided details of how he modified one of Andy's memory boards
and his MAGROM board to allow both to be installed inside his MTX.
- Another distraction from MTXPlus+.
. . . . Martin and I have taken
Bills excellent work
with the Parallax Propeller and created an updated version of
CFX, oddly enough, called
CFX-II, which includes 80
column output to a VGA monitor.
- Posted some high quality scans of "missing" tape inlays (Courtesy
- Posted a schematic of the Video Wall
Frame Store AtoD/Controller board (Courtesy of Tony Brewer)
- I have just supplied a "one-off"
consisting of one of
cards joined to CFX
- The same method could be used to join
MAGROM and CFX is
someone wanted both internal
- A new firmware
version for MAGROM is now available with a range of "new" MTX512
- Posted an article
from Computers and Electronics Magazine that briefly discussed the
- Having had a few "notes of interest", I ordered another run
of MAGROM boards -
- The MAGROM boards have now arrived and although they are
working, they have a
- "Another year over. And a new one just begun."
- The distributor of the MTX
User's Club Germany has now put copies of the
MTX-Info magazine on line
- Posted a copy of the original CP/M
ROM from the FDX SM1 Interface board
- Another generous donation from a, or should I say an "ex", Memotech
owner from Germany!
- Wolfgang Joerger has just sent me a
64K "MTX500" with Twin
- It is in great condition and early indications are that it
is fully functional - more details soon
- Bill Brendling has reverse engineered the FDX CP/M 80 Column
card driver - full
- Status update for
- A slight distraction to other activities, but there has been
some renewed interest in MAGROM
. . . .
- If there is enough demand, I will get some more boards
made, if you are interested,
drop me an e-mail
development continues :-
- I am currently working on resolving a CPU CPLD timing
- Tony is working on modifying the video board firmware to
- The Eurocard prototype boards that I used are hard to find -
so I have designed a replacement
- Used some of the time over the holidays to
"colour" problem on one of my FDX 80 Column boards
- Martin has released a small firmware upgrade for
CFX, incorporating additional
- Memofest 2016
was held at my place on 29/30th October
- Notable highlights included :-
- Phew! - now that is over, I can get on with MTXPlus+
etc. (I hope!)
- The MTXPlus+
is back from manufacture, with just one minor error this time!
- Testing was a nightmare, the board appeared to be u/s
but it was actually a PLCC socket fault
- (Martin was able to test the board and firmware on his
system to confirm that it was not faulty)
- Next up - the I/O board . . . . . . . .
- I am just back from holiday - but things are coming along nicely
for Memofest 2016
- Gilles Bronchain has kindly sent me
some photos of a pair of
MTX512s with consecutive serial numbers that he obtained from
Memotech's French distributor. The machines have what appears to be
a locally developed video convertor to generate a SCART output from
the MTX Video board.
- The next MTXPlus+
PCB (the video board) is ready for manufacturing
- The firmware in
MTXPlus+ that allows the system to run at a range of clock
frequencies between 4 and 16Mhz, and the technique for switching
between them, has been significantly enhanced (thanks to Tony
- Arrangements for
Memofest 2016 are being finalised : confirmed as
29th/30th October in Aberdeen
- Drop me a line if you plan on attending
- The first MTXPlus+
PCB has been manufactured !
|I would really like to make the magazines from the
Club - Germany available on-line, although
they are in German (obviously), I think that they contain a
wealth of MTX related information that is at risk of being lost
to the annals of time. Unfortunately, the magazine editor will
not allow me to do this, see the details on my
MTX User's Club -
- Posted Volume 5, Issues 3, 4 & 5 of the
Memotech Owner's Club Magazine
(Courtesy of Matthew Clark)
- Volume 1, Issues 1 to 3 are now the only ones missing from
the set - can you help?
development continues, albeit, somewhat slowly !
- An exciting new development will be announced soon!
- I am also considering getting some
PCBs made -
let me know if you might be interested
- Martin has assembled a
version of MTXPlus+ on an ATX form factor prototype board
- Adapted the DC only MTX512
that I got from Manfred to use a
standard Cisco PSU for the
See Earlier "News"