Site Computer News
- October 2018
- Memofest 2018
was held on 13th October at
Martin's place in Hastings - see the event report for details
- Memofest 2018
will be held on 13th October, as last year, it is being hosted by
Martin Allcorn in Hastings
- See the
Memorum post and contact Martin if you are interested in
- The MTX PC Keyboard
Interface is now available to purchase. I have redone the web
page and added an updated section from Bill Brendling on the
Parallax Propeller code that runs the interface. (Thanks Bill!)
Arto Kivimäki has generously
donated an MTX500. It was quite expensive to ship it from
Finland, but as I did not have an MTX with a language ROM, it was
worth it. As well as the Finnish keyboard and language ROM, the
machine came with a copy of the MTX Operator's guide translated into
Finnish in Finland.
- Details of the "new MTX hardware interface" are now available .
. . .
- MTX PC Keyboard
- It is a small internal PCB that attaches to the keyboard
header on the MTX computer board and allows a PC keyboard
(PS/2 or USB) to be used alongside, or instead of, your
existing MTX keyboard.
- Not many web updates I'm afraid, but things have been happening
on the MTX front . . . .
- The "new MTX hardware interface" is progressing - more details
- Memotech disk controller (FDX/SDX) USB Floppy Drive emulator
available . . .
- Do you have a Memotech disk controller (FDX/SDX) with
unreliable drives ? It is now possible to replace the floppy
disk drive(s) with a Gotek USB floppy drive emulator thanks to
OpenSource firmware released by Keir Fraser. I have
added one to one
of my FDXs and it is working well - all for under £15 !
- Phil Fagan has generously
donated an MTX500 owned by his late brother, purchased when he
was serving his apprenticeship, c.1983. The machine came in it's
original box and polys, along with all of the original paperwork. It
is in pristine condition and is the best MTX500 that I have - thanks
a lot Phil !
- Exciting (not really "exciting", but
it is hopefully of interest) new MTX hardware interface coming soon
. . . .
- Paul Daniels has released an update to his MTX Development Tools
- Bill Brendling has released an updated version of his port of
MEMU for Raspberry Pi -
- Did a couple of repairs on another Memotech user's computers -
benefiting us both
- System 1 - With
a clock and sound problem, also upgraded the onboard RAM from 32
- System 2 - With
a keyboard sense chip problem
- Started a page for copies of the
Danish MTX User Club
magazine (courtesy of Lars Jørgensen)
- Memofest 2017 was hosted by Martin
Hastings on 14th October -
read the report here
Soilamaa is continuing to develop his ROM loader to allow unmodified MSX
games ROMs to run on the MTX
- It is still a work in progress, but, now runs on real MTX
hardware, as well as MEMU - check it out
- Martin Allcorn in hosting
Memofest 2017 on the
14th October in
- Courtesy of an eBay seller, I have uploaded a better quality
scan of "Memotechniques" from "Personal Computer News",
Issue 46, from January 28
1984 - see the
- I have just completed a quite interesting repair on the MTX500
given to me by Wolfgang Joerger. As well as the almost obligatory
VRAM fault, the machine had a failed TMS-4764 Mask ROM - direct
replacements for these devices are not available -
read how I resolved
the issue here.
- Although not Memotech related, David Kimberlin-Wyer has
contributed an article
on how to replace the internals of a failed PSU in a Tatung Einstein
TC-01 with an alternative open frame PSU.
- In a similar way to my "one-off"
CFX Special, David
provided details of how he modified one of Andy's memory boards
and his MAGROM board to allow both to be installed inside his MTX.
See Earlier "News"