The Memotech MTX Series
Memotech Compact Flash System - Version 2
CFX - II Video Modes
Video Modes and their
Bill has documented the video modes available in CFX-II in an
Open Office document and
PDF - I have
transcribed the content on this page.
Brendling 17 May 2020
The VGA output from the CFX-II board is produced by a
Parallax Propeller microcontroller chip. This supports a number
of different operating modes:
The VDP emulation modes shadow the hardware interface of the
VDP, reproducing what is displayed on the composite video
output. The 80 column modes are software compatible with the
original Memotech card, but with a different hardware interface.
- 80 x 24 text modes with 160 x 96 graphics, largely
similar to the Memotech 80 column card:
- 16 colour mode compatible with the Memotech card
using colour output.
- Monochrome (green) mode compatible with the Memotech
card using monochrome output.
- Enhanced 64 colour mode.
- 320 x 240 graphics mode with 40 x 24 text:
- 2 out of 64 colours per character cell.
- MTX VDP emulation mode:
- Text mode: 40 x 24 characters.
- Graphics mode I: 256 x 192 graphics, 2 out of 16
colours per 16 character cells.
- Graphics mode II: 256 x 192 graphics, 2 out of 16
colours per character cell.
- Multi-colour mode: 80 x 48 independent colour tiles.
Video display control under CP/M and
BASIC are described on
their own webpages